Ryan S. MacGillis
Ryan is an associate at MacGillis Wiemer, LLC and is a trial attorney. He focuses his practice on Family, Labor/Employment, and Civil Litigation cases. Ryan is a graduate of the Marquette University Law School and received his undergraduate degree in communication from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. While in law school, Ryan was a judicial intern with the Wisconsin Court of Appeals.
Ryan is also a Judge Advocate General (JAG) in the U.S. Army Reserve. Ryan has been in the Army for over eleven years and has achieved the rank of Captain. Ryan currently works as a Deputy Staff Judge Advocate for a Division Command.
Ryan has represented men and women in family law cases, including paternity, divorce, child support, property division, and post-judgment actions, in several counties throughout Wisconsin. Ryan also works as a Guardian ad Litem in Milwaukee and Waukesha Counties representing the best interests of the minor child. Ryan’s work as a Guardian ad Litem provides him with a unique perspective in handling family law cases. Ryan also has helped a number of service members and their families dealing with the complex issues surrounding military divorces.
In addition to his family law practice, Ryan has represented clients in a number of different Employment/Labor law matters. Ryan has represented clients in discrimination cases, wrongful termination cases, wage and hour claims, and worker’s compensation cases. Ryan has also represented several City and County employees on a variety of disciplinary matters. Ryan has represented clients before the Milwaukee County Personnel Review Board, the Wisconsin Employment Relations Commission, and the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development.
For his achievements on behalf of his clients, Super Lawyers has named Ryan a Rising Star in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016. Ryan also volunteers with several organizations, including Dry Hootch Volunteer Family Law Clinic. At Dry Hootch, Ryan provides general legal advice and referrals to veterans.
Ryan is a life-long resident of Wisconsin. In his free time, Ryan enjoys fishing, racquetball, working in the yard, and spending time with his wife, Leah, and daughter, Annabelle. He also enjoys traveling. During his time in the Army, Ryan visited several countries in Africa, South and Central America, and Asia. While in Africa, he taught English and Math to 4th grade students in a rural village.
Areas of Practice
- Child custody and visitation
- Child support
- Collaborative divorce
- Property division and divorce
- Military Divorce
- Guardian ad Litem
- Civil Litigation
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Supreme Court
- U.S. Eastern District Court of Wisconsin
- U.S. Western District Court of Wisconsin
- Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, J.D.
- University of Milwaukee-Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, B.A.
- Judge Advocate Officer Basic Course, Charlottesville, Virginia
Honors and Awards
- “Rising Star” by SuperLawyers 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
- Recognized by the State Bar of Wisconsin’s “Pro Bono Honor Roll” for his work with Dryhootch Family Law Clinic
Professional Associations and Memberships
- U.S. Army Reserve, Captain
- Leander J. Foley, Jr. Matrimonial Inn, American Inns of Court, member
- Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin, member
- Milwaukee County Bar Association, member
- Waukesha County Bar Association, member
- Washington County Bar Association, member
- American Bar Association, member
Past Employment Positions
- Wisconsin Court of Appeals, Intern
Pro Bono Activities
- ABA Military Pro Bono Project
- Modest Means Program
- Dry Hootch Family Law Clinic
- Marquette’s Public Interest Society, Service members and Veteran’s Legal Assistance of Wisconsin (“SAVLAW”)
- Marquette’s Volunteer Legal Clinic