Graham P. Wiemer
Partner and Founder
Graham P. Wiemer is a founding partner of MacGillis Wiemer, LLC. Graham represents men and women in all aspects of family law. He often works with individuals on Wisconsin divorce, paternity, child custody and visitation, child custody jurisdiction, support, property division, domestic violence issues, domestic partnership dissolutions, and post judgment matters. He represents parents and grandparents, and is often appointed as a Guardian ad Litem to represent the best interests of minor children. He is a trained and experienced mediator and assists parents and couples in resolving child-related and financial issues privately and without court involvement.
Graham is active in representing individuals in the collaborative divorce process. He is a member of the Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin (CFLCW) and currently sits on the CFLCW Board of Directors.
Graham sees first-hand how collaborative practice helps reduce the negative impact of court on children and families. He believes in an interdisciplinary approach to the practice of family law and often incorporates techniques of the collaborative process into many of his cases. His experience as a Guardian ad Litem has taught him how to help parents understand the changing dynamics of their family from their children’s perspectives.
Graham also has substantial experience representing first responders, including police and fire fighter unions and their members. He has represented police officers, fire fighters, labor unions, and other municipal employees throughout the State of Wisconsin.
Graham earned his law degree from the University of Notre Dame Law School. Prior to entering law school, Graham received his B.A. in Political Science and Philosophy with an emphasis on Human Rights from the University of Dayton.
Areas of Practice
- Child custody and visitation
- Child support
- Collaborative divorce
- Guardian ad Litem
- High net worth divorce
- Property division and divorce
- Private, facilitative mediation
- Same sex divorce
- Wisconsin, 2006
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 2009
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2010
- University of Notre Dame Law School, Notre Dame, Indiana
- University of Dayton, Dayton, Ohio
- B.A. magna cum laude
Honors and Awards
- Top 100 Trial Lawyer by the National Trial Lawyers
- M Magazine Leading Lawyer 2015
- Super Lawyer by SuperLawyers 2013, 2014, 2015
- “Rising Star” by SuperLawyers 2011, 2012
- Co-Presenter, Collaborative Academy, “Growing your Collaborative Network: Using Affiliates and Team Members in Non-collaborative Cases,” April 2017, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin.
- Faculty Member,“Hearing a Child’s Voice in Family Court” 2017 Wisconsin Judicial College, Wisconsin Supreme Court Office of Judicial Education, March 2017, Manitowoc, Wisconsin.
- Co-Moderator, “Putting the Young Children and Overnights Issue to Bed,” presented by the AFCC Wisconsin Chapter, et.al., March 2017, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Co-Presenter, Greater Wisconsin Employee Assistance Professionals Association, “Collaborative Divorce: How the Team Approach can Benefit Employees,” February 2017, West Allis, Wisconsin.
- Moderator, “What’s New with the Milwaukee County Family Court Commissioner’s Office?” Milwaukee Bar Association Family Law Section, January 2017, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Co-Presenter, Collaborative Academy, “Ethics Update,” December 2016, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Co-Presenter, Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin Annual Meeting 2016, “Alternative Team Models,” November 2016, Pewaukee, Wisconsin.
- Co-Moderator and Planning Committee Member, “People Hearing Without Listening: Understanding and Presenting A Child’s Voice in the Court System,” Joint sponsors: Leander J. Foley, Jr. Matrimonial Inn of Court, Society of Family Lawyers, and AFCC-WI, Collaborative Family Law Counsel of Wisconsin, Milwaukee Bar Association Family Law Section, February 2016, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Presenter and moderator, “Family Court Commissioners’ Panel 2016,” Leander J. Foley, Jr. Matrimonial Inn of Court, January 2016, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Panelist, Ethics Panel, Divorce Cooperation Institute Annual Seminar 2015, “Negotiation Strategies,” November 2015, Delafield, Wisconsin.
- Presenter, Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin Annual Meeting 2015, “Collaborative Lessons Learned – Applying Tools & Techniques in Your Day to Day Practice,” November 2015, Pewaukee, Wisconsin.
- Co-Moderator, “Utilization of Mental Health, Counseling, and Medical Records in Family Law Cases: A View from the Bench, the Bar, and Healthcare Professionals,” Delivered to Wisconsin Supreme Court 2015 Family Law Seminar, June 2015, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin.
- Co-Moderator, “Dealing with Difficult Attorneys – Part 2,” Leander J. Foley, Jr. Matrimonial Inn of Court, April 2015, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Co-Moderator and Planning Committee Member, “Utilization of Mental Health, Counseling, and Medical Records in Family Law Cases: A View from the Bench, the Bar, and Healthcare Professionals,” Joint sponsors: Leander J. Foley, Jr. Matrimonial Inn of Court, Society of Family Lawyers, and AFCC-WI, February 2015, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Panelist, Ethics Panel, Divorce Cooperation Institute Annual Seminar 2014, “Keeping Children Out of Court,” November 2014, Delafield, Wisconsin.
- Presenter, “GAL Training 2014,” State Bar of Wisconsin, April 2014, Madison, Wisconsin.
- Presenter, “Dealing with Difficult Attorneys – Part 1,” Leander J. Foley, Jr. Matrimonial Inn of Court, April 2014, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Moot Court Judge, National Black Law Students Association’s Annual Frederick Douglass Moot Court Competition, March 2014, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Moderator, “A View from the Bench: a Roundtable Discussion,” Milwaukee Bar Association Family Law Section, March 2014, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Regular Presenter at the Collaborative Foundation of Wisconsin’s “Second Saturday” presentations throughout Southeastern Wisconsin.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Society of Family Lawyers
- AFCC-WI—Membership Committee member, Chair 2016-present
- Divorce Cooperation Institute—Board of Directors member 2014-present
- Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin—2012, Board of Directors member 2016-present
- United State Supreme Court Bar Association
- Washington County Bar Association
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- Waukesha County Bar Association
- Leander J. Foley, Jr. Matrimonial Inn, American Inns of Court—Board of Directors member 2011-present
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
25 hours mediation training with Zena Zumeta, “Family Law Mediation Training,” State Bar of Wisconsin, September 2014
More than 50 hours of training in Collaborative Practice, including beginning, intermediate, and advanced training in both collaborative divorce and interdisciplinary practice
“Understanding and Managing the Challenge of Relocation,” AFCC-WI, September 2014, Brookfield, WI