Christopher J. MacGillis
Partner and Founder
Christopher J. MacGillis is a founder and partner at MacGillis Wiemer, LLC. Chris focuses his practice on personal injury and representing first responders, including police and fire fighter unions. He has represented police officers, fire fighters, labor unions, and those injured by the acts of others throughout the State of Wisconsin.
Chris earned his law degree, cum laude, from Marquette University Law School. Prior to entering law school, Chris received his B.A. in Economics from Lawrence University. While at Lawrence, Chris was a member of the men’s basketball team, serving as team captain and earning all-academic and all-conference honors. He was recently inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame at Pius XI High School.
Chris has tried cases in both state and federal court. He prides himself on protecting his clients and working aggressively to obtain the best potential outcome. One of Chris’ former clients states: “Chris worked my case on a very personal level working extremely hard to overcome what others thought was impossible! Another attorney told me I would not have a successful outcome and that I should just accept that. Chris proved them wrong. They fought for the best possible result. I feel a lasting friendship [with Chris] was developed along the way.”
Chris has successfully represented police officers and fire fighters throughout the State of Wisconsin. He has significant experience in handling grievances, arbitrations, disciplines, terminations, collective bargaining, officer involved shootings, duty disability, and squad and fire engine accidents. One Union President has said: “The MacGillis Wiemer team is excellent. Chris’ law firm has obtained significant results for our members. We have won many cases because of their efforts and legal skill. They are dedicated and unwilling to back down in the face of adversity. The lawyers keep us informed and always return emails and telephone calls in a timely manner. I strongly recommend the lawyers at MacGillis Wiemer, LLC.”
In recognition of the successful results obtained on behalf of his clients, Chris has been selected as a “Rising Star” by SuperLawyers, a “Leading Lawyer” by M Magazine, Top 10 Attorney Under 40 by the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, Inc., Clients’ Choice Award – Personal Injury from Avvo, and Top 100 Trial Lawyer by the National Trial Lawyers.
Chris has written various articles addressing personal injury, insurance, and issues faced by first responders. Chris often presents to groups to address these same issues. Chris also works with police and fire unions to address injury and disability issues.
Chris was requested by the Chief Justice of the Wisconsin Supreme Court to serve as District Committee Member for the Wisconsin Office of Lawyer Regulators. Chris currently serves as the Chair for his OLR District.
Chris is a life-long resident of Wisconsin. Outside of the office, Chris enjoys spending time with his wife, Ann, daughters, Grace and Josephine, and son, Owen.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Wisconsin, 2008
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 2009
- Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- J.D. cum laude
- Lawrence University, Appleton, Wisconsin
- Author, “In Anticipation” of a Work-Product Objection: Successful Arguments to Obtain Defendants’ Statements Taken After an Accident, The Verdict, 2014
- Author, Law Enforcement Squad Accidents: Are You Protected?, GAPA Milwaukee Newsletter, 2014
- Author, Insurance Laws and Coverage, MDSA, 2013
- Author, New Uniforms, MDSA, 2011
- Speaker, Privacy-How to Protect Your Clients’ Rights and Records, WAJ
- Speaker, Transitioning from Law School to Practice as a Trial Lawyer, WAJ
- Speaker, Law Enforcement Squad Accidents: Are You Protected?, GAPA Milwaukee
- Speaker, Police Accidents: Are You Protected?, MDSA
- Speaker, Legal Research, Writing, and Memos, WAJ
- Speaker, Legal Internship Program, Pius XI
- Speaker, Personal Injury Law Practice, WAJ
Honors and Awards
- Leading Lawyer” by M Magazine
- Top 10 Attorney Under 40 by the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, Inc.
- Top 100 Trial Lawyer by the National Trial Lawyers
- Choice Award – Personal Injury from Avvo
- “Rising Star” by SuperLawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Washington County Bar Association
- Milwaukee Bar Associatio
- Wisconsin Association for Justice
- Leander J. Foley, Jr. Matrimonial Inn, American Inns of Court
- American Association for Justice
- Wisconsin Office of Lawyer Regulations, District Committee Member
- Waukesha County Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Office of Lawyers Regulations
- Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association
- Western District of Wisconsin Bar Association
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh